Don't be selfish! Share.

Web Informer Button

Friday, April 09, 2010

Voldemortish experience?

 

Assuming everyone who can read has read Harry Potter, I am relating this past week's experience to he who must not be named! We had a patient who underwent a SILS Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy last week. The surgery went off well and the patient tolerated the anaesthesia and post op pain quite admirably. The visit in the evening led to this post.

 I went to see her to check that everything was well. She was made to go to the toilet, sit up and even walked a bit. She had some amount of pain which was understandable considering her surgery was performed only hours earlier. She also had a very dry mouth, again obvious, since she was still nil orally post op. She was permitted to gargle and moisten her lips.

 I was waiting outside whilst she was doing this and suddenly her siblings comes running up to me and exclaims, "There's something wierd coming out of her mouth, it looks like a snake or something." Not one to miss out on an opportunity to see something this dramatic, I went on inside, not alarmed but mildly curious.

The patient's face was a picture of perplexity as she proceeded to stare at me and tell me that something funny was coming out of her and were we sure the surgery went of well! I asked her to open her mouth.

Sure enough, looking me straight in the face, swollen to a certain extent, her mouth opening in a way that made it seem to be projecting outwards, hence resembling the dreaded 'nagina'  was what she perceived to be the snake of her insides....

Her Uvula!

P.S. At least it didn't look like this!

2 comments:

rlbates said...

lq2m

Arps said...

:D

It *would* have been pretty cool to see an actual snake there though. (Just saying :P)

Popular Posts